About Me

My photo
Living life to the fullest the best we can....living, laughing, loving!

Monday, November 28, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude Days 21-27

You know, I am sensing a trend...being late!  Go figure.  I always joked about how I am always running late and was even born late, so, in keeping with tradition (late, as always)...better late than never!

Day 21
BOOKS

Today I am grateful for good literature and the love I have for books.  I don't do it as often as I should, but I love to read.  I am mainly a mystery type of gal, but I am willing to try different genres.  So, for today, pick up a book, curl up and read, read, read!

Read any good books lately?

Day 22

RAIN

Today, I am grateful for rain.  I have always loved the rain.  I love the feel of it on my skin, I love to sit and listen to it beat on the windows and I love to watch a rainstorm.  I don't know if it is because I am in awe of it's power and beauty, or if it is the feeling of renewal.  I am not quite sure.  I do, however, know that today, I am grateful for rain.



Day 23

HEALTH

Today, I am grateful for my health.  I know that I am not as fit as I should be and not as healthy as I should be, but I can move and do what I need to do pain free.  Some people, aren't so lucky.   I had a bout with Bell's Palsy almost two years ago.  The only side effect I have is a droopy left eye.  Every now and then, when I am really tired, it starts to water.  That is my signal that I need to 1-slow down and 2-get more sleep.  I am grateful that I am not battling a major health issue and for that, I am grateful for my health.



Day 24

EXTENDED FAMILY

Today is Thanksgiving Day and we had dinner at the Galbreath's.  We were missing Grant, Wade's older brother along with his wife, Carlyn and their two boys Garrett & Wyatt.  However, we were together with family.  I am grateful for an extended family who loves me conditionally and accepts me for who I am.  We were missing Grandma G. (as she was in Spokane with cousins), but we had a great time.  Ate good food, have great conversations and played some wild hands of Hearts.  I am grateful that Wade has come from "goodly parents" who taught him how to be the best man possible.  So with that being said, I am grateful for extended family.


Taken July 2011 at Grandma G's 97th birthday party in Ritzville
(We are missing Cari, John's wife.)
Back L-R: Saige, Dan, Garrett, Wyatt,  Grant, & Wade
Middle: Cami, Luke, Carlyn, Julie
Front: John, Cade, Chase, Grandma G., Dale, Julie, Zoe, Eliza & Taylor

Day 25

WARM COMFY BED

Today is know as "Black Friday" referring to all the shoppers who are up early in the morning (or up late at night depending on the store), who are out buying good deals for the upcoming Christmas holiday.  I have NEVER done Black Friday, nor do I have a desire to do so.  As I headed to my warm comfy bed, I thought about those who do not have a bed, who are sleeping on the floor, on mats, in their cars and others who do not have a bed of their own.  It made me stop and thinking  about how fortunate I am and how grateful I have a bed to sleep in.  For this, today,I am grateful for MY warm comfy bed.

Nope, this is not my bed, but it is a nice looking one. 


Day 26

LAUGHTER

Today, I am grateful for laughter.  I love to hear the sound of laughter, especially when it is coming from kids.  There is something about that sound that makes me stop thinking about how my life isn't going the way I would like and it makes me feel better.  I love a good joke and love to laugh and so, for today, laughter is the best medicine and for that I am grateful!



Day 27

Here is the picture first.....

SUPPORT

Now, let me explain.  Here in the Basin, we actually have all four seasons and in the late fall, it is quite common to see a gaggle (I believe that is what a group of geese is called) of geese flying over head.  There usually is large groups of them and they are not quite.  Just today as I got home from church, I saw a large group flying over head.  It made me stop and think about the story of the geese and why they fly in the "V" formation. 

As the geese take flight from the Canadian shoreline, they lift off from the water in squawking discourse. Yet, in a matter of seconds, a line begins to emerge from the mass of brown feathers. This line straightens, arches slightly, and then, as on cue, bends sharply to form a perfect V shape. Canada geese fly in V formation for a very pragmatic reason: a flock of geese flying in formation can move faster and maintain flight longer than any one goose flying alone.

We have a lot to learn from these geese.
  • By flying in "V " formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.=>People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.
  • Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front.
    =>If we have as much sense as a goose, we will stay in formation with those who are heading in the same as we are.
  • When the lead goose gets tired, he rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.
    => It pays to take turns doing hard jobs, with people or with flying geese.
  • These geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
    => We need to be careful what we say when we honk from behind.
  • Finally, when a goose gets sick, or is wounded by gunshot, and falls out, two geese fall out of formation and follow him down to help and protect him. They stay with him until he is either able to fly or until he is dead, and then they launch out on their own or with another formation until they catch up with their group.
    => If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand by each other, protect one another and sometimes make new friends who seem to be going in our direction.


So, you can see from the above explanation, as I looked up at those geese flying in their formation today, I stopped and thought about all those people in my life who are "honking" me on to bigger and greater things.  All the people who believe in me. All the people who support me in whatever I do and for that, I am grateful for the support of other people.


So with only three more days of November, I am going to continue to look for all those things that I am grateful for and stop to think about this beautiful world I live in.  Until then...adios, J


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List