Growing up, my dad would just bust out in song for no particular reason. He would make up songs such as “I use to be a cook, a good old cook too, but now I’ve finished cooking, I don’t know what to do…” etc. We kids would usually just go along with it and smile and sometimes just sink into our seats. It was not until several years later, that I went with my husband, mom and dad to a scouting banquet. For some reason (unknown to me), they sang a song at the end. To make this long story short(er), as soon as they began, I recognized the tune and almost died! I was not hearing that tune sung to a “normal” song. Who knew back then that that song would soon play an intricate part of my scouting opportunities?
I guess I need to back up a bit as well. A few years back Wade was scoutmaster for Troop 98 here in town. His assistant, Lyle and he were all set to go to Woodbadge in August 2008. I was semi involved (doing most work behind the scenes). However, things changed and all of a sudden, I was presented with an opportunity to become more involved. So, I contacted the course director to see if there was room for me to join and there was. So, Wade and I began this scouting adventure, together. Here is a link for more information about Woodbadge: www.woodbadge.org
(Left to right)
Michelle, Ken Mitchell, Chris Fawcett, Linda Bennion (Troop Guide), Wade and Rob Fitch.
My Beaver Patrol
(Left to right)
Katha Jackson, Troop Guide, Shane Smith, Mellie Head, Matt Duffy, me, Mark Ward)
It was an intense six days (broken into two weekends), but I feel we have a greater grasp on scouting, it’s aims and purposes and how to become a better leader, not just in scouts, but in all aspects of life. I literally had the time of my life. Here are some other random photos. Enjoy!
This is a collage I put together to talk about what one can learn at Woodbadge. There are other photos….
Wade and his patrol with part of his presentation.
So by now, you might be asking yourself why these photos from 2008 Well, it’s because it gives the back story. So let’s fast forward to February 2010. I received a call from Pete Feltrup. He is an avid scouter from Yakima. He had been asked to be the course director for Woodbadge 2010 (WE1-614-10) and was calling to see if I was interested in being a staff member. I asked him what he wanted me to do and he said a Troop Guide and I accepted. So six months prior to course, I dug out my materials and began to prepare for another time of my life. I had monthly meetings; they were in Quincy, Wenatchee and Yakima. I met some wonderful scouters, staff and participants and once again had an awesome time. Here are photos. Enjoy!
The Mighty Bobwhites
Larry Frazier, Andrea Larson, Ellen Dougherty, David Hill, Randy Thompson, Steve Yunker, Julie Galbreath-Troop Guide.
Randy Thompson
David Hill

Steve, Ellen Dougherty , Andria Larsen
The eight mighty Troop Guides with Papa Bear Allan leading the way
Troop 1-Gilwell Field
Staff WE1-614-10
Back: Fred Jepson, Carl Naphi, Shep Kuester, Alan Ashby, Jason Tveten, Jan Gallant, Brian Piippo. Middle: Marc Porter, Pete Feltrup, Holly Hall, Mark Stripes, Greg Sawyer, Julie Galbreath, Stephanie Kinney, Linda Bennion. Front: Anne Kenney-Chapman, Laura Larson, Shaun Borup. Missing: Karl Beezer and the cooks.-Richard Bennion, Steve Kenny, Matt Feltrup.
Back: Fred Jepson, Carl Naphi, Shep Kuester, Alan Ashby, Jason Tveten, Jan Gallant, Brian Piippo. Middle: Marc Porter, Pete Feltrup, Holly Hall, Mark Stripes, Greg Sawyer, Julie Galbreath, Stephanie Kinney, Linda Bennion. Front: Anne Kenney-Chapman, Laura Larson, Shaun Borup. Missing: Karl Beezer and the cooks.-Richard Bennion, Steve Kenny, Matt Feltrup.
Once again, I had the time of my life and enjoyed meeting new people and forming friendships. I learned a lot about myself in the process and recommend to any scouter to just go and do Wood Badge. Your life will never be the same! Until next time~Julie












How fun to be doing something that you love so much! I enjoyed the stories, especially the one about your dad singing, and you sinking into your seat. Haha it made me smile. And I always love to see pictures :) Glad you had such a good time!
ReplyDelete